From Education to Employment: Degree Apprenticeships
- Published: Thursday, 28 July 2016 16:05
- Written by Web Editor
Degree apprenticeships are a hot topic among both employers and universities. With the Apprenticeship Levy having come into force in April 2017, and the number of available standards increasing all the time, interest continues to rise. We have curated some key content on degree apprenticeships below.
What are Degree Apprenticeships?
Co-designed by employers and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), these new programmes involve a combination of vocational and higher education learning, in which both academic and occupational proficiencies are tested, and for which the attainment of a degree is an integral part of the course.
The National Centre’s briefing paper on Degree Apprenticeships offers insights into how they are organised, the reasons for their development and the sectors in which they are most prominent.
What is the National Centre for Universities and Business doing in this area?
Degree apprenticeships require close collaboration between universities and business to co-create new talent solutions that meet the needs of both learners and employers. We have been speaking to member universities and businesses that are currently engaging with degree apprenticeships to better understand the challenges and benefits as well as the wider implications for employers’ talent acquisition and development programmes, and the consequences, intended or otherwise, for universities and their graduates. We will be publishing our findings in a report due out in the autumn and through a series of blogs.
Listed below, we’ve gathered the latest research, case studies and opinion around this topic. If you would like to contribute please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Degree Apprenticeships – the facts
- NCUB Briefing
Insight into what Degree Apprenticeships are, as well as how they are organised, the reasons for their development and the sectors in which they are most prominent.
- HEFCE guide to Degree Apprenticeships
Resources for universities, information on the Degree Apprenticeship Development Fund and a useful FAQ section.
- Department for Education guidance
Overview of apprenticeship funding in England and guidance to businesses on how the Apprenticeship Levy works.
- Supply and demand for degree apprenticeships in England (HEFCE briefing – July 2017)
- CBI/Pearson Education and Skills Survey – Helping the UK Thrive (July 2017)
- Developing Degree Apprenticeships – the Employer Perspective (AGR – June 2017)
- Degree Apprenticeships – Realising Opportunities (Universities UK – March 2017)
Member Case Studies
- Capgemini and Aston University
Collaborating to develop the UK's first degree apprenticeship.
Wanted: Skills for Innovation
- London South Bank University
A new south London "powerhouse" for apprenticeships.
- Manchester Metropolitan University
MMU at the vanguard with new degree apprenticeships programme.
- University of Sheffield
Engineering the next generation
- NCUB blog: The benefits of degree apprenticeships (August 2017)
- HEFCE blog: Are degree apprenticeships right for my child? (August 2017)
- Guardian / Open University feature: How the apprenticeship levy can help improve productivity
- NCUB blog: Degree Apprenticeships: A game changer? (June 2017)
- Universities UK blog: Why we need more degree apprenticeships (March 2017)
- AGR blog: Degree Apprenticeships: the good, the bad and the ugly (March 2017)