- Published: Thursday, 28 July 2016 16:05
- Written by Web Editor
Degree apprenticeships are a hot topic among both employers and universities. With the Apprenticeship Levy having come into force in April 2017, and the number of available standards increasing all the time, interest continues to rise.
On 8th November, NCUB held a one-day conference to consider the role of degree apprenticeships in delivering the Government’s Industrial Strategy, closing skills gaps in key sectors and creating new high-value jobs. We are currently reviewing the conference outputs and will be publishing them on this page. Please follows us on Twitter for annoucnements.
We have curated some key content on degree apprenticeships below:
What are Degree Apprenticeships?
Co-designed by employers and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), these new programmes involve a combination of vocational and higher education learning, in which both academic and occupational proficiencies are tested, and for which the attainment of a degree is an integral part of the course.
The National Centre’s briefing paper on Degree Apprenticeships offers insights into how they are organised, the reasons for their development and the sectors in which they are most prominent.*
What is the National Centre for Universities and Business doing in this area?
Degree apprenticeships require close collaboration between universities and business to co-create new talent solutions that meet the needs of both learners and employers. We have been speaking to member universities and businesses that are currently engaging with degree apprenticeships to better understand the challenges and benefits as well as the wider implications for employers’ talent acquisition and development programmes, and the consequences, intended or otherwise, for universities and their graduates.
Drawing on interviews with members of the National Centre, NCUB has published the report 'Degree Apprenticeships: Impacts, Challenges and Future Opportunities' considering the emerging effects that the introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy in April 2017 is having on employer and provider practices including addressing and promoting social mobility.
Listed below, we’ve gathered the latest research, case studies and opinion around the topic of degree apprenticeships. If you would like to contribute please email email@example.com.
Degree Apprenticeships – the facts
- NCUB Report
Read our report 'Degree Apprenticeships: Impacts, Challenges and Future Opportunities'
- *NCUB Briefing
Insight into what Degree Apprenticeships are, as well as how they are organised, the reasons for their development and the sectors in which they are most prominent. Please note that the model of 1/3 employer to 2/3 government was a temporary measure introduced to facilitate degree apprenticeships between their inception in 2015 and the introduction of the Levy in April 2017. As this briefing came out in 2016, it refers to this older model.
- Office for Students guide to Degree Apprenticeships
Information and guidance about degree apprenticeships for students and potential apprentices, employers and providers.
- Department for Education guidance
Overview of apprenticeship funding in England and guidance to businesses on how the Apprenticeship Levy works.
- Quality Assuring Higher Education in Apprenticeships
Apprenticeship policy in the UK is devolved - this guide from QAA provides a helpful overview of the context and current quality assurance arrangements in each nation.
- Experience Enhanced: Improving engineering degree apprenticeships (Engineering Professors’ Council - September 2018)
- Supply and demand for degree apprenticeships in England (HEFCE briefing – July 2017)
- Designing apprenticeships for success - A discussion document on Engineering Degree Apprenticeships (Engineering Professors’ Council - July 2017)
- CBI/Pearson Education and Skills Survey – Helping the UK Thrive (July 2017)
- Developing Degree Apprenticeships – the Employer Perspective (AGR – June 2017)
- Degree Apprenticeships – Realising Opportunities (Universities UK – March 2017)
Member Case Studies
- Teesside University
PD Ports to create future leaders through degree apprenticeships (January 2019)
- Sheffield Hallam University
Using degree apprenticeships to meet regional need (November 2018)
- Cranfield University
Cranfield logistics and supply chain management Master's degree now eligible for apprenticeship levy (October 2018)
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David (UWTSD)
Digital Degree Apprenticeships - exciting developments in Wales (October 2018)
- Anglia Ruskin University
Initiative to educate new mental health nurses (October 2018)
- Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin engineers new apprentice route (September 2018)
- University of Exeter
J.P. Morgan and University of Exeter partner to offer financial services apprenticeship (September 2018)
- Capgemini and Aston University
Creating the first degree apprenticeship in digital and technology solutions (September 2018)
- University of Portsmouth and Pearl Fit Out
Successful entrepreneurs invest in degree apprenticeships (September 2018)
- University of Portsmouth and the British Army
An army of apprentices (July 2018)
- Pearson Business School
Delivering students fit for 21st century industry (July 2018)
- University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire develops county-wide apprenticeship delivery partnership (June 2018)
Wanted: Skills for Innovation (June 2017)
- London South Bank University
A new south London "powerhouse" for apprenticeships (February 2017)
- Manchester Metropolitan University
MMU at the vanguard with new degree apprenticeships programme (April 2016)
- University of Sheffield
Engineering the next generation (May 2016)
- Capgemini and Aston University
Collaborating to develop the UK's first degree apprenticeship (September 2015)
- NCUB blog: Are your apprenticeships expansive? (October 2017)
- NCUB blog: The benefits of degree apprenticeships (August 2017)
- If degree apprenticeships are to widen access, we need to raise awareness (August 2017)
- HEFCE blog: Are degree apprenticeships right for my child? (August 2017)
- NCUB blog: Degree Apprenticeships: A game changer? (June 2017)
- Universities UK blog: Why we need more degree apprenticeships (March 2017)